Back in the day, it wasn’t uncommon to use lead paint. Lead was used because it allowed the paint to dry faster and resist moisture; however, once it was discovered that exposure to lead paint could result in long-term negative health effects it was banned in 1978. Although you won’t find any homes constructed after 1978 with lead-based paint, older homes may still have it.
Should you buy an older home if lead-based paint was used?
You Can Remove Lead Paint
Sellers are required to inform you if they know that lead-based paint was used in their homes. If they don’t know and you’re buying a house built before 1978, then they should give you ten days to have a professional test the property for lead paint. It’s worth noting that sellers are not required to test for lead-based paint themselves.
If you have children, you may want to avoid homes with lead-based paint. Older paint chips may fall, and if they consume any of the paint, it can cause serious health issues. If you don’t have children, this won’t be as big of a concern, but you likely don’t want to live in a house with lead paint either way.
Fortunately, lead paint can be removed after you buy a home. Just make sure a professional does it. If you do it yourself (DIY), you risk exposing yourself to lead-based dust and debris.
You Can Encapsulate Lead Paint
Another option is to encapsulate the lead-based paint by adding a special liquid coating over the top. However, this will only work if the paint is in good condition.
If you have any other concerns about buying a home or would like to speak with a real estate agent, contact us at Randy Lindsay today.