Moving across the country is no easy task. It takes a lot of planning to make sure that everything goes smoothly. It can cost a lot more to move such a long distance as well, especially when compared to local moves. Fortunately, there are still ways that you can save some money. The following are a few moving tips to help you save money moving across the country:
- Invest in high-quality moving boxes – Don’t use flimsy boxes to pack your things. Use high-quality boxes that will hold together over a long trip. They’re going to be stacked on top of each other shifting around in the back of the truck, after all.
- Purchase moving insurance – Movers will carry basic moving insurance, but it will be limited to a certain amount per pound. You’ll want to purchase additional insurance to make sure the actual replacement value of your belongings will be covered.
- Donate unneeded items – Sort through your belongings and sell, donate or toss all items you don’t need or never use. The fewer things you have to load and unload, the less expensive the move will be.
- Find a reputable, experienced mover – Don’t just hire the cheapest mover. Doing so is a good way to lose or damage items (or fall behind schedule). Look for a mover that has long distance moving experience as they will know how to handle the specific challenges that a cross-country move presents.
- Book accommodations in advance – Do your research to find affordable hotels to stay in during your trip so that you don’t end up booking more expensive rooms last minute.
These may seem like simple tips, but they will help you save money on your cross-country move.